Sunday 7 June 2015

Two Weeks in Japan

I've been in Odawara for 2 weeks now, and I must say that I love the place. I could quite happily never go back to England, but unfortunately I have flights booked and it'd be a shame to be deported for over-staying my visa.

I flew out with All Nippon Airways. A little expensive, but it was a direct flight and they do good food. I was sat in front of a lady and her little boy, who very kindly gave me a chocolate bar as a pre-emptive apology, and I didn't hear a peep out of him for 11 and a half hours. 

I was met at Tokyo Haneda (after a little bit of a kerfuffle) and was driven to my apartment in Odawara. It's small, but has everything I need (minus internet) and it's still bigger than university halls. I'm living pretty close to the school and I can see Fuji on the way to work on clear days. My boss has kindly lent me his bicycle so I can get around a bit easier. 

Anyway, here are some photos from the area I'm living in.

I think it's really pretty.

So, teaching.
It's going well. I'm enjoying it. Nobody has cried which is always a good sign. The school is only little but that seems to be a selling point, and even in the short time I've been here I have seen students improve. One little girl has taken a shine to me and gave me a note (with the help of her Mum's handwriting) which says "I love you" on Hello Kitty note paper. I think it's cute.

I've had a few days off so far, and have used them for boring things (buying food etc.) and more fun things.

Fun thing #1 - Odawara Castle

It's simple enough to get to from my local train station, and only a short walk from Odawara station. Entry to the castle is 410円, or 600円 if you want to go to the other museum (less English in the latter). 


There's a museum inside the castle which is really interesting and full of artefacts and the like. It's definitely worth a look if you get the chance. The route through the castle is well-laid out and you can get to a viewing-type walkway at the top. These are the views from the top of the castle.
I also had a wander around the rest of the grounds. It's in between flower seasons at the moment, so there is no cherry blossom and the irises/hydrangeas are only just starting. Despite that, the grounds are still really pretty and I'll try and get back when things are properly in bloom.
There's also a shrine that you can visit. I think it's one of the prettiest ones that I've seen (I need to see Hakone on a sunny day to decide properly), and even though it's in the middle of a city it feels very secluded and peaceful.

Fun thing #2 - Tokyo 東京

Odawara to Tokyo is super easy. My route is as follows...
  1. Kamonomiya 鴨宮 to Odawara 小田原 (Tokaido Line) = 190円
  2. Odawara to Shinjuku 新宿 (Odakyu Line) = 880 円

Total = 1070円
It takes about an hour and a half to get to Shinjuku from Odawara, and there are a range of trains to choose from (express, semi-express, rapid express, romancecar if you're feeling fancy).

I've been into Tokyo twice so far, with plans to go again on the 12th.

The first trip was to Harajuku 原宿 and Shibuya 渋谷 (in full summer vintage regalia). I spent much more money than I should have done, but it saves me spending it later, I guess. Anyway, in Harajuku I went to...
  • Tutuanna - more socks. I always needs socks.
  • Meno - brooch
  • Too Much - earrings
  • Santa Monica - brooch
  • La Foret - got lost on the lolita floor
Meno

... and in Shibuya
  • Grimoire (surprise) - Laceflower socks + chatting with Kaori and Riona
  • Grimoire Almadel (surprise surprise) - dress
  • Notoria - Nakamura Coubou ring (amethyst) + bonus nice chat with Seki
  • Qosmos - just looking

Grimoire
Grimoire Almadel
Qosmos
I went to Notoria for a second time today (07.06.2015) and had a really lovely time. There was a natural history/science event type thing today, with loads of new antiques. I bought two prints; one of the phases of the moon from 1854, and one of butterflies from 1785. I think Notoria is quickly becoming one of my favourite shops! The staff are lovely (Seki has made time to speak with me on both trips even though the shop was busy today), and it has a wonderful atmosphere. There is so much interesting stuff there, that you could spend hours looking and not get bored.
Notoria
I'll do my best to keep this updated (I'll be spending a lot of time in Starbucks by the looks of it), as well as my instagram. I'm really enjoying life here, and I can really see myself emigrating properly once I've finished my degree. I got a 2:1 this year, by the way. 

Right, my laptop is about to die and it's 9:20pm here so I should probably head home and get ready for my shift at the school tomorrow. I have a load of lesson plans to type up... 

So, to summarise. 
This is probably the best thing that I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise