Monday 8 June 2015

Earthquakes!

On the 30th of May at 20:24, I experienced my first earthquake. Well, two of them (one offshore, one on land). I first thought it was my neighbour moving around, then I realised what was happening. Once I had, I must admit that I thought that I was going to die for a brief moment. Nothing bad happened, though (at least in Odawara).

I was surprised by how much movement there was. I didn't expect the building to physically sway, but it did. My neighbour was still talking on the phone throughout the whole thing, so I figured that it couldn't be too bad even though my heart was pounding.

Japan Meteorological Agency
In Odawara, it measured at around magnitude 4, but was a magnitude 8.5 at the source. I don't have a TV in my apartment,  nor internet, so I went to bed when nobody nearby started to panic. According to my colleagues in Kaisei, tsunami warnings were issued (and retracted). There weren't any announcements over the speakers in my area (Nakazato), but there were in Kaisei and other places. When they told me that it kind of struck me how serious this is. I live 8m above sea level.

Basic facts...

  • M = 8.5
  • Depth of focus = 590km (subduction interface)
  • No tsunami risk
  • Nothing my apartment fell over
So, as first experiences go it was OK for me. Nothing broke, and I wasn't reduced to a quivering wreck rushing to the airport to buy a ticket home. Part of me is glad that my first earthquake was somewhat large because the chances are that any others won't be as bad.

I'm actually really pleased that I got to experience an earthquake so quickly, though it would have been nice to know at the time what to listen out for in the announcements, if there were any. Still, I'm prepared now and I now where to go if there is a tsunami warning in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise