Saturday 21 February 2015

Applying for a Japanese Visa

This summer I will be working part-time in Japan. In order to do that, I had to apply for a working-holiday visa. It was a bit intimidating and not something I ever thought I'd do, so I decided to write down my experiences because it was much less difficult that I thought.

*** Please bear in mind that not all countries offer a working-holiday scheme.***
***Other countries will have different processes, costs and plans. ***

A working holiday visa allows you to stay in Japan for up to 12 months from the date of issue, and allows you to pick up work during your stay as long as the main aim of your trip is to holiday. Only 1000 are issued per year.

In order to apply, you need to show that you have sufficient funds to support your stay to start off with and evidence of a return flight or the funds to purchase one, as well as the relevant paperwork found on the Embassy website and a valid passport.

The forms can be filled in on a computer and then printed out, which makes sure they are neat and the Embassy can easily read them. Whilst the Embassy website can be a little confusing to navigate, there is a lot of information on there and all the forms have a sample version so you can see how they want it filled out.

You will need to provide a CV or personal history, a reason for application and a proposed itinerary. If you have work already organised (like I did), you need to put the details into the proposed itinerary. All of this should be typed up on A4 paper.

Once you have all your forms and things, you need to pop off to the Embassy of Japan in Piccadilly, London, and hand it all over. I took the train to Paddington then walked through Hyde Park because after 4 hours of being on a train I figured I'd much prefer the walk, and it only takes about half an hour. There are two underground stations nearby so it's easy to get to the Embassy, and the big Japanese flag on the front of the building gives it away.

When you've given them all your forms, you will be given a collection receipt which will tell you when you can come and collect your passport and visa. For me, I had to wait 7 days and pay £20 upon collection. You need to take that receipt with you in order to collect your passport as it has the application number and your details on it.

So, there you have it. Simple process, really. If anything, the most difficult part was communicating with my employer in Japan due to his working commitments and the time difference. Other than that it was pretty uneventful and I had time to go around the museums and stroll through Hyde Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise