Wednesday 15 July 2015

The Last of the Hydrangeas

Hydrangea season has very nearly ended here in Kanagawa - there are a few still hanging on, but today I saw the first lilies bloom. Hydrangeas [ajisai 紫陽花] are one of my favourite flowers, so I have thoroughly enjoyed being here whilst they were in their prime.

In the West, hydrangeas are often thought to symbolise silent devotion or heartlessness, which can put one in a bit of a predicament. In Japan, the represent a changing heart, pride, and fickleness due to their changing colours. As such, they were shunned during the feudal period due to their association with changing loyalties.

Despite that, they flourish in Japan and are the quintessential flower of the rainy season [tsuyu 梅雨]. Their colours are so bright and vibrant here, and there are many different strains that can be seen although most are mop-head hydrangeas.

I've included my favourite photos of hydrangeas that I've taken at various places this season. Please enjoy them.
Odawara Castle 小田原所
Kaisei Hydrangea Festival 開成町アジサイ祭り
Engakuji 円覚寺
Tokei-ji 東慶寺
So, the next flower season is the lily. I saw the first one in bloom today, and a load more ready to go in the next few days. I'm planning to go back to Daiyuzan Temple again on Friday (typhoons permitting), and it looks like a good number should be in flower by then.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise